Friday, October 7, 2011

The Black-Eyed Peas, Take Two

I have been to many concerts in Central Park over the years, but I think the (long-awaited) The Black-Eyed Peas do-up will probably go down as my favorite. And I knew they'd come through. Skeptics believed there would be no follow-up to the washed-out performance in summer. The concert, intended to benefit those in poverty and in association with The Robin Hood Foundation, happened just a week ago on what started out to be a gorgeous autumn night. The Manhattan skyline, under a somewhat red sky was breath-taking and the grass had been freshly-cut. I love that smell, it reminds me of my dad; cutting grass is one of his favorite pastimes. I've heard that 60,000 people attended. There was a huge crowd, but not so big that it was possible to move around quite a bit - which I did - dancing the whole way through.

The concert was part pop-rock music, part laser light show, part DJ-ed party fest and part fashion show with Alexander MacQueen-esqe outfits making interesting entrances and exits. I would go as far as to say that the entire show was rather elegantly done, in fact. The Peas are a class act and have brought so much to their audience. I'd long forgotten about Where Is the Love? Their more recent music, like Imma Be, I Got a Feeling and Boom Boom Pow, coupled with their futuristic fancies (and top mashups!) are destined to be dance classics in years to come.

A little less than two hours in, the rain began. First a light drizzle began, which didn't seem to affect the crowd. The music was so entrancing that revelers started tossing those glow in the dark rings into the air, causing a sort of UFO effect. But, then the monsoons started. My sister Sharmin, like many other fans, had to leave her umbrella at gate security and decided to make a fast getaway. Our friend Anthony and I (like many other fans!) managed to sneak our portable umbrellas tucked away in our bags into the concert and happily opened their tops and continued dancing-dancing-dancing. I felt bad for those that were forced to leave. One savvy goer asked Anthony if she could stand with him under his umbrella, which he graciously agreed to.

The show did go on. Fergie was right--lightning didn't strike twice--and those of us, as she also put, that stayed for the duration are the "true party people!"

I leave you with: Time of My Life (Dirty Bit): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwQZQygg3Lk

No comments:

Post a Comment