Sunday, July 10, 2011

Telling Rick Springfield He Was My First Concert Experience

Meeting Rick Springfield was one thing, but actually getting to tell him that he was my first concert experience took it to a whole other level.

Strangely, I've been elated for days--perhaps it's as simple as meeting one of my favorite pop rockers from the 80s. I can't quite put my finger on it. Or, better still, that meeting has brought me back to good times in my childhood that I hadn't thought of in some time. Music has a way of bringing back memories--nothing in particular, just the fondness of appreciating certain musicians and bands, I suppose.

Of course, seeing Rick Springfield live as a teeny bopper--and remembering well when he came back onstage for the final encore decked out in leopard-print spandex and red converse sneakers--this will forever be etched in my memory. I pretty much told him so the night we chatted.

I attended a discussion with Rick (as though we are on a first name basis) last week through the Hudson Union Society with my sister Sharmin here in New York. It was an intimate gathering where we sat and listened to Rick talk about his life. He wrote an autobiography, Late, Late at Night, that had been released last year. In it--and during the discussion, Rick addressed his lifelong battle with depression. I was touched at how open he was about an attempt at suicide at 16, and, now as an adult who has enjoyed a celebrated career, how he works hard to be mindful of what he has--pointing out the sufferings of many in Afghanistan (as one example) as a reason to be grateful.

The discussion was much less heavy, I should point out. Rick breezed in, still donning converse sneakers and with a distinct rock musician air--slim, in jeans, beaded bracelets--he looks amazing at 61. He's a real salt of the earth type of guy, as my sister so aptly put it. Rick joked with the crowd and was so surprisingly approachable (though I sensed his guard up at the same time--rightly so).

He seemed embarrassed at some of his TV roles, such as appearances on The Six Million Dollar Man and Wonder Woman. Those remain two of my best loved shows from my early TV viewing days, so I couldn't understand why he wouldn't be proud of them.

And who could forget his famed role as Dr. Noah Drake on General Hospital. At times, he playfully indicated he would, actually.

Of his TV and film roles, Rick said: "Right, I could make it as an actor [so I could be a musician.]" But, he did.

What I loved about this night was truly seeing the joy that music has always and continues to bring to Rick Springfield. It's the way he lights up about it--and his deep appreciation for his fans.

I felt that when I made my way over to him; my sister was already by his side and had quietly, but reverantly, told him he was her first concert. I busted in soon after and expressed the same sentiment. I'm amazed at how close he lets people into his personal space--Sharmin and I held onto that moment.

If, as a child and since, I've had any doubts that I made the wrong decision in choosing Rick Springfield over The Police as a first concert outing--that's now been obliterated. Knowing that it actually meant something to him, too, makes it all the more special.

I leave you with Jessie's Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYkbTyHXwbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment